Wednesday, December 13, 2006

L'amour est enfant de Boheme, il n'a jamais connu de loi

I know, I know, three posts in the same day; what's up with that?

Last year, I was involved with an amateur opera night, and it was...ok. It was expensive and a little disappointing (largely staging issues, due in great part to the SD kind of, well, not know what she was doing. Nice lady, clueless in regards to music, opera, and I would venture, staging) and I didn't think I would do it again this year.

Then I got an email from the Artistic Director/Board.

They offered me Bizet's "Habanera" from Carmen, Malika in the Flower Duet from Delibes' Lakme, and Papagena from Mozart's Die Zauberflote. Well. That's a horse of a different colour!

After explaining that I'm not in a position to pony (ha ha, get it? with the horse metaphor? yeah, my pun-filled grandfather would be so proud!) up $400 to cover costs, some other options have been presented, including seamstressing which, obviously, would work out well for me, so it looks like I'll be singing with Bytowne again this season. Which, frankly, makes me happy.

I felt it necessary to reiterate to the AD that I am not a mezzo-soprano, even though I sang a mezzo/switch part last year (Octavian from Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier which is a fabulous opera and sooo lovely to listen to, anyone with any interest in opera should have a listen. I'm partial to the trio/duet at the end of the opera, since that's what I got to sing, but really, it's all lovely!! And funny!! Try to see it, if you can!). And I got this lovely email back telling me that I have a "wide range and warm-velvety tone". !!!! I still have trouble taking compliments seriously, and maybe it's BS to try to fill out roles; either way, it's a damned fine thing to read about myself! I'm certainly don't mean to sound vain: I just want to share my joy! I honestly have trouble believing these things said about my voice; it just seems so unreal. I've been singing for years, but this is new, and very novel (which is really just a French loanword, to mean new, so that's sort of a redundant statement, isn't it?).

So, all things being equal, I'll be singing with Bytowne again this year. Anyone need tickets? Because I've got a whole wack of them to sell.

Now if I could just find my copy of Dame Joan singing the Flower Duet from Delibes' "Lakme"...I wish I wouldn't misplace cd's so often; what a pain!

Anyway, that's my happy update. I'm singing at my oldest friend's wedding this December 30 (a piece by John Denver he recorded with Placido Domingo, "Perhaps Love", very pretty) and my friend L from choir and I are planning to work on a duet someday soon, after the holiday rush. Lots of music things happening, so many I may start a second blog devoted to music. So keep your eyes peeled for a new button!

Have a great night all! I send you all lullabies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...