Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hrm.

I have tried on the stocking. And it seemed....snug. Getting the heel on properly was just, sort of, difficult. And the pattern seemed very stretched, just around the heel.

DSC00142_edited
So what do I do? I'm thinking of starting the second stocking, with the second ball of yarn, and adding a wedge-shaped inset of stocking stitch, or just increasing the number of stitches before turning the heel. Hrm.

The Future BIL has decided he would like cream kilt hose for the wedding. I think I'll be picking up the yarn and needles this weekend or next week. I'm excited to start. He's coming over tonight, so I'll measure his foot and all, and get the hose designed this week. My plan originally was to knit the foot toe-up in the round, then flat after turning the heel. I'm thinking now that that is a silly way to knit them (and why add a seam if I can avoid it?) so I think I'll just knit them in the round. Thing is, I want to ensure they are EXACTLY the same, so my plan is to knit them on two needles, at the same time. I've never used magic loop, and I've never knit two socks on two needles concurrently. I anticipate a little confusion to start, but I think it will work out in the long run. After all, I have the entire foot to get used to the method of knitting, and the foot is just simple ribbing. It's the leg that gets interesting!

Ooohh, wish me luck. I may have bitten off more than I can comfortably chew, and I have a very small mouth!

DSC00139_editedInsert segue here (I've got nothing): chow mein! Yummm! I love cooking broccoli; it goes from that dusty, sagey colour to vibrant green in just a moment. Onions and red peppers, some garlic, veggie stock, and some rice flour to thicken, serve over wheat noodles. Mmmmm..!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm..now see I love my broccoli raw.

    I like the pattern you have going there. Can't wait to see them done!

    And kudos for wanting to learn those techniques for your FBILs hose! I tried 2 socks on 2 circs. Yikes. Waaaay over my head. But that's not saying much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to make up your own pattern for the kilt hose, too? There is a pattern in Folk Socks for kilt hose. I've knit that one, and I enjoyed it.

    I do like the pattern you are designing. Some day I'm going to knit stockings for myself. So far they have all been for others!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...