Sunday, February 11, 2007

So much to say!

Some changes have been made. Some are good, some are perhaps less good, but at least I know that I CAN alter my template. This makes me very happy, even if my header is still, well, that (look up. Yeeees, isn't it lovely....blah). I'm going to have hubs with his $27 000 IT education take a look at this. Surely to goodness he can make sense of the mess of HTML.

On to better and funner things! I won something!! I went and had the yearly poke-and-prod, sent of dear Bez' and email, and the result was yarn win-age! She has this marvelous and yarny contest on her blog. The Kootchie Awareness Yarn Extravaganza is an effort to increase the number of women going for their annual Pap. Fun, no. Necessary, absolutely. The prize is awarded monthly, and it is yarn. So beautiful blue sock yarn is winging its way from San Antonio, Texas, to my home, here in very cold, and very snowy, Ottawa, Ontario. Fabulous. Thanks so much, Bezzie! I'll certainly blog the yarn from arrival to final sockage, and as soon as I figure out what the hey-oh I'm doing with this template, I'll have your button up top in my sidebar. I encourage all ladies to go get probed, and enter your name! Then knit socks. They are fun and rewarding. And comfy.

Speaking of socks, I knit some! Ok, I knit one and a half, then ran out of yarn. And such a feeling of accomplishment! Such immediate satisfaction at so quickly having a knit garment on my body! Here it is, in it's partly completed form:DSC00123_edited

Buuuuuut (because there's a but): I'm frogging them. I used the toe-up Universal Sock Calculator from Knitty, and the result was a sock that is a little on the big side. I have total confidence in the formula: I think I just made the sock too long. Also, the pattern I used was an 8 st repeat, so I may have had to alter the numbers generated by the calculator a little too much to make the stitch pattern work. Regardless, I'm happy with my first attempt, and plan to get more yarn and knit more socks.

Which brings us to the Alpaca. I have this deep desire to knit the deep-v pullie from the Fall-Winter Vogue Knitting. It's beatiful. It has lace detailing. The v is so deep it wears like a cardigan (a shirt under this sweater is a necessity). I found yarn in a colour I liked but an entirely different gauge. I thought "maybe I can do some fancy math and make it work".

I hate doing fancy math. So now I have a ball of this beautiful fingering-weight, heathered-wine, Drops 100% Alpaca. This yarn is lovely. It is soft and delightful. It looooongs to be knit into something spectacular (which that pullie is and will be, soon as I find the perfect yarn). But what to knit? Socks didn't seem to suffice. Why knit something lovely and effectively hide it in shoes and under trouser-legs? This yarn doesn't want to be socks...it wants to be STOCKINGS! Wonderful, long, over-the-knee, held-up-with-garters, STOCKINGS! Lacey and striking, these stockings need to be fabulous. But I could find no such pattern, nothing I loved enough for which to dedicate my yarn. And really, what is a stocking but a sock with a very long leg, perhaps with a little shaping to accomodate the shape of the calf and knee. And who was it that received that big Vogue Knitting encyclopedia for Christmas? Oh, yes, that was me! Full of stitch patterns, including lace. So I swatched, and now I have:DSC00137_edited
this. It knits as a bottom-up pattern, so I'm adapting the toe-up calculator to create a more shallow toe and to make the lace fit. I'm hopeful. And I'm really looking forward to wearing these things. With any luck, by the time they're finished, I'll have a pair of boots to wear with them (I'm envisioning these stockings covering my knees as they rise from a pair of knee-high black leather boots and vanish under a skirt). I think they'll be cool rock-star-wife wear for Hubs' gigs.

But how fair would it be for me to neglect the rest of my household? Hubs will be getting something shortly, but Wembley got a sweater! It's been very cold up here, lately, and dear Wembles has been shivering. She has a hoodie she wears on her trips to the backyard, but she hasn't had an indoor sweater to wear when she's chilly from being outside. She got this:DSC00132_edited
The ribbing at the bottom of the sweater ended up flaring out more than I'd expected, so it's really a ruffle, which is far girlier than I had planned, but still pretty cute. I threw some short rows on the ribbing at the neck, so it has a shawl collar. !! Hilarious!

And I've been planning ahead.
DSC00125_edited I am currently cardi-less. I have one old cardi that never leaves the house because it's just not up to public viewing anymore. So I'm planning out a new button-up cardi. I'm thinking sapphire-blue, to hit just below or at the hip. In the pic, you can see my plan for some interesting ribbing almost under the arm and at the cuff of the sleeve. Should be cool. Now I just need to find some yarn and start swatching.

And prom's coming up!! Which means prom dresses. Heather, of the pompom kitty hat, here is your dress:
DSC00130_edited
She wants it in red. I'm thinking if we can find a nice red, maybe sort of marbled, chiffon, it'll be beautiful. Ruched body - very flattering, not that Heather needs the help, you doll, you! - with a flamenco-inspired hemline and a key-hole back. I'm sure it will be lovely, and Heather will look stunning!!

1 comment:

  1. Yup! Your yarny prize was shipped out yesterday!

    Rock Star Wife Wear--you could start your own clothing line!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...