I adapted a recipe from Michael McCamley's Gluten Free Baking, and I'm really happy with how they turned out. Adding liquid glycerin to the mixture? Yeah, no thanks. And we were out of rolled oats, and I'm very allergic to almonds, so the recipe became more inspiration that outright direction.
For the all-purpose gluten-free flour:
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1 3/4 cups arrowroot starch or tapioca flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
Makes enough for two full batches of muffins with a little left over.
For the muffins
1/2 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup scant sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 2/3 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup scant blueberries
raw sugar to sprinkle
1. In a food processor, combine first four ingredients until well mixed.
2. Add dry ingredients and process until just combined.
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add blueberries, stirring with a spoon.
4. Spoon into 12 muffin cups and top with a sprinkling of sugar.
5. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes or until tops are browned and crunchy and a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for several minutes before serving.