Friday, October 14, 2011

faux-chos

Remember this? At the time I was wheat, dairy, soy and egg-free. Now we've added corn to see if we can't get Bubby's rash to finally clear up. Here's a head's up: in North America corn is. in. everything. It's madness.

Anyway, there are some obvious, common sources of corn that this totally eliminates. Until now, I had been sort of desperately clinging to the fact that while I couldn't eat bread (sigh) or cheese (whimper) or cake (sob) I could, at least, have corn chips and Coke. Yeah, yeah, I know, cola is death blah blah blah. I ran out of vices so I cut myself some slack. Today, though, I really wanted nachos and a Coke. You know, dairy-free, wheat-free, corn-free nachos and Coke. Made of what, exactly? Made of this:





faux-chos


And you know what? It's awesome. My inspiration was this recipe from my friend Alyson. Here is approximately what I did:

1/2 can black beans, rinsed
1 clove garlic
2 tsp onion powder
1/ 2tsp cumin (I freaking love cumin)
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup vegetable stock
2 tbsp rice flour

Throw everything in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Spread on an oiled, foil-covered cookie sheet to about the diameter of a dinner plate, or 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Top with Daiya Shreds ( I used cheddar flavour because it was all we had, but pepperjack or mozzarella would make more sense) and bake at about 340*F until the edges look dry and the shreds are all melted, maybe 20-30 minutes. Serve by topping with salsa, shredded lettuce, more salsa and cashew cream. Drink a Blue Sky Cola alongside to complete the feeling of guilty indulgence.

edited 10/15/11: I have just discovered that while Blue Sky is HFCS free, the caramel colour and citric acid in it are manufactured using...corn! And the Daiya Shreds? More citric acid from...corn! ARGH! Well, we'll keep trying. It was still delicious, though.

4 comments:

  1. Gotta say, it looks pretty fabulous. I love it when allergen-free food (dairy, soy, wheat, corn, milk, egg, etc) tastes better than the meal it is designed to replace- even if I have no allergies.

    And Blue Sky soda is pretty awesome, too! I've only had the root beer but it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloooo, I am in Scotland so I have no idea what half of your ingredients are??? (the beans and flour are kind of obvious lol). I am on a cola ban and its killing me (isnt that Topsy Turvy). We dont have blue sky cola, is it healthier?
    At least I got to look at the pretty picture ;)
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw man, allergies blow. I think it sounds delicious without the daiya too though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also! I'm all about the crust and having vegan pesto on top. That's pretty much our pizza base once a week. Sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...