Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nerdling, or, The Traveller

Did I ever mention that I'm a total nerd? Well, I am. Big-time. Like, there-are-maybe-five-episodes-of-Star-Trek:Next-Generation-I-haven't-seen kind of nerdy. I don't own memorabilia or shirts or go to conventions or anything, but I have watched a LOT of Star Trek.

Penny Karma's recent post inspired me to share with you the day I outed myself to anboyfriend.

I had just gotten to his place and he and his roommate were watched ST:NG (see, 21 yo boys don't need to pretend that they don't like ST:NG; they can be all open about it). And then-BF says to the roommate "That's The Traveller, right?" referring to an alien creature on the screen. Before I could think, I said "No, The Traveller is more human looking and greyer." Jaws hit the floor, and I was mortified at what I had just done.

Slowly, the boyfriend and roommate turned away from the screen to look at me as I stared shame-faced into my lap.

"You watch Star Trek??" they exclaimed.


3 comments:

  1. What?! Dude, my college guy and I used to go back to my apartment in the middle of the afternoon specifically to watch TNG.

    I would never think to be ashamed of it. Hold your head high!

    (Having said that, I hate all Star Treks that are not TNG.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they were more shocked than horrified. And it helped that I was then able to explain to them everything they weren't understanding about that episode, what with having seen it multiple times previously. :)

    DH has embraced my TNG geekdom, though he mocks it a little. I, in turn, mock his love affair with The Equalizer. He has a serious man-crush on Edward Woodward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, there's nothing wrong with watching Star Trek! My boyfriend (now DH) got me into them when we started dating. I don't have his near perfect episode ID skills (he can tell you what episode is on after just 5 seconds), but I think at this point I have watched every episode of every series.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...